Vacation Check List
List of common to-dos and things to take care of before leaving home for more than a few days
- 1 Week before leaving.
- Clothes – Pack versatile multi-use articles of clothing. Limit shoes since these take up a lot of room and weigh quite a bit. Packing this early will help you avoid forgetting needed articles of clothing.
- Multitool. You will be surprised how many times you may find yourself in a rental car or hotel room and need a screwdriver or pair of pliers. Where you pack your multitool will depend on if your flying or driving. An airline won’t let you board with one due to the blade but having it in your checked luggage should be fine.
- Flashlight. Small LED flashlights are just a few dollars and practically disposable. Keep one in your bag or suitcase and leave it in there so you won’t have to repack it. Check the batteries before leaving.
- Night before
- Toiletries. Don’t pack these. Unless you have allergy problems don’t pack shampoos, conditioner, or soaps.
- 3 Weeks before leaving.
- Plan care for anything that is alive. Just because there is a kennel doesn’t mean that they’re not booked up or that your pet doesn’t have the proper vaccinations.
- Turn down water heater temperature.
- Shut off power strips to appliances and high dollar devices such as computers and televisions.