In the world of sports many would think the NFL would be the best representation of conservatism but they would be wrong. It is tennis. You disagree? Please consider the following and tell me which sport is more representative of conservatism.
- In the NFL all the teams split television revenue the same. In tennis your revenue is based off wins and losses.
- Three words – NFL players union. Can you imagine the number 73 player in the world trying to convince the guys at the top they need to organize. If a player in tennis wants more money or perks they need to win more. Results are everything.
- In the NFL women are relegated to a superficial role serving no real function to the game. In tennis women often have more star-power than their male counterparts.
- In tennis you aren’t told how much to celebrate.
- In football your uniform must be approved. In tennis, other than tournament rules, dress is up to the individual letting them chose their own style and needs.
- In tennis men and women will compete alongside each other in mixed-doubles matches.
- Tennis is by nature an international sport. It does not beg for Europe’s acceptance trying to win them over. The majors are spread throughout the world drawing players from all over the world.
- Football fields are for the most part the same. Tennis courts can be clay, grass, or hard-surfaced. If you want to be truly great you must be able to play great on all of them.
- Coaching jobs aren’t dictated by public perception with token minority interviews being granted. Either you’re hired or your not.
- Tennis players can’t blame their defense, offense or special teams. They are solely responsible for the performance.
- There is no time limit in tennis. You must always play aggressive and be on top of your game because many a major has been lost when a could not win multiple match points.
- To be a good tennis player you must have tennis ability and fitness. In football a nonathletic guy who can punt a ball makes the team alongside the top athletes, and the overweight offensive lineman.
- Some of tennis’s earliest stars have been minorities and not just because of their minority status but because of their abilities. Poncho Gonzales and Althea Gibson were major stars in the 50’s while the NFL was predominately white.
- The NFL is centrally controlled and owners collude to help control costs and profits. Tennis players either win tournaments or gain endorsements. No one owns the players.
- Mediocre players that ride the bench can win championship rings. In tennis in order to win a major a player must actually play.
I love both sports. But with team sports becoming diluted and feminized it is once again time to turn to individual sports such as tennis, boxing, racing, or any number of others and give them the support they deserve. Guess what Green Bay, New York or Dallas – those players don’t play for name on the front of the jersey they play it for the name on the back. At least in an individual sport the athletes are honest about their intentions.